A Few Words About RECORD STORE DAY 2013

**UPDATE** Good news: The pallet has been located! Yesterday afternoon we received a very exciting call, telling us that our DRIVE Picture Discs were found unharmed, and were en-route to our distributor. Since then, our distributor has been working tirelessly to get these out to as many stores as possible.

Now, obviously the timing is not ideal. Record Store Day is tomorrow so we cannot guarantee that these will make it to all stores in time for doors, but they will be in some. Please contact your local record store to see if they will have these discs in time. Worst case scenario, they should be on shelves early next week.  As mentioned before, they will for sure be in WATERLOO and END OF AN EAR here in Austin, as I had already hand delivered some of our personal copies in advance, prior to this announcement.

Thank you for your patience with this matter, and thank you for being so understanding when all was (theoretically) lost. I hope you like them. We are incredibly proud of them.

- Mo Shafeek – 4/25/2013

It was supposed to be so easy…

Bad News (the Short Version): Our DRIVE Picture Disc 2XLP will NOT be in stores on Record Store Day, this coming Saturday.

Bad News (the Long Version): So, a few weeks ago, we got our entire stock of DRIVE. That included the entire regular edition that we put online, plus 75 copies or so of the RSD Picture Disc for our own personal archives and comps. We shot some photos in anticipation of promoting its existence, a blog for which would’ve gone live today under more positive circumstances. You can see them below (a.k.a. Proof these things actually exist.)

drivepd1

drivepd2

drivepd3

drivepd4

drivepd5

drivepd6

drivepd7

drivepd8

The very same day, our manufacturer also shipped the remaining edition (1,000 copies) to our distributor, intended to be divvied up across the country for Record Store Day. But something went terribly wrong: they were never received. At first we waited patiently for them to arrive. A week went by, then we had to get a little more pro-active. We tried to trace them. We got the upper-management of the shipping company involved. We did nationwide sweeps of major shipping facilities, ultimately with no luck. Now, we are all freaking out asking the same question you are undoubtedly asking yourself…

How does one lose 1,000 records?

Did they get stolen? Did they “fall off the back of the truck?” Literally, or figuratively – probably not. Anyone who knows records could tell you that 1,000 records weigh quite a bit. I feel/hope like someone would notice (unless it was some sort of Fast & Furious heist-type situation, which would at least make for a good story.) It’s more likely that they are just sitting in a warehouse, or dock gathering dust. But which “warehouse/dock” is a question that our manufacturer and distributor are still asking each freight company, leaving us to deal with this P.R. nightmare.

As far as we can tell, it is no one’s fault in particular. It is a mix of miscommunication, incorrect receiving procedures and general hectic-ness surrounding this industry-specific holiday. But none of that changes how awful this situation is. As of now, no one can tell us when these copies will resurface. Without even a remote timeline, we cannot guarantee they will be in stores in time for Saturday, nor can we guarantee what we are going to do with them when we eventually find them (I have been assured that in the history of Record Stores, no one has ever lost an entire pallet of records and never found them… so at least there’s that.)

It’s totally fitting after waiting a year to put out this LP that we should all have to wait a bit longer. As someone who has seen these with his own two eyes, I can tell you that they are worth the wait. They just won’t be a part of Record Store Day 2013. And for that, we sincerely apologize.

But don’t let that discourage your Record Store Day! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE support you local record stores. It is so incredibly important that you do. I, personally, will be getting up super early and getting in line at Waterloo Records here in Austin to go pick up a few things. If you are local, I hope to see you there.

A few more things:

AUSTIN LOCALS will still have a shot. As stated above, we have a few to spare so we are going to give a few copies to END OF AN EAR and WATERLOO RECORDS to sell this Saturday. I don’t know how many just yet, but it will be very minimal. I’m sorry that we cannot do the same for other stores outside of Austin. I hope you understand.

POLTERGEIST GLOW IN THE DARK was on a separate pallet and will still be in Record Stores on Saturday. It is CRAZY how much this thing glows. You can see a few photos below.

polt1

polt3

polt4

polt13

polt14

DRIVE REGULAR EDITION will be in stores on May 28th, 2013. Those were not lost either (thank god). Please contact your local record store to make sure they carry it.

OBLIVION will be on sale on April 26th on our web store and will also be in record stores on May 28th. We will have the exclusive CLEAR version. The one that will be in stores will be BLACK.

Please feel free to e-mail me at Mo@mondotees.com if you have any further questions.

Photo credit: Billy Garrett

25 thoughts on “A Few Words About RECORD STORE DAY 2013

1. Chris Rose

If life has tought me anything, $h!t happens. You (Mondo) have done a great thing for bringing some people who may have forgotten what a record was back into the fold.

I’ll be at one of those stores bright and early. Just not sure which one yet. A lot of great vinyl being released!

2. neil haggar

Well, i`m sure everyone will feel your panic and frustrations. I sincerely hope these albums turn up, i would really like to (eventually purchase the DRIVE pic disc somehow), and the Poltergeist album.
    What UK stores have you sent items to.
    Good luck on finding them and good luck with your future.

3. Vince

I was looking forward to picking up the picture disc on Saturday after receiving the regular edition yesterday. I hope they turn up so they can be offered for sale at some point.

4. matma

First time seeing those Drive picture discs, and WOW! I’m looking forward to trying to get one whenever and wherever they pop up. Good luck sorting out the shipping snafu.

5. Pingback: Modern Vinyl – Mondo’s Record Store Day plans revealed

1. Eric Post author

Hi Cody – Yes, the regular edition DRIVE that will be in record stores will be from the same edition that we sold online. Black vinyl with randomly-inserted Pink vinyl. Thanks!

Eric

6. Chris

Does the regular Drive vinyl come with a poster or one-sheet insert? Or are those randomly inserted as well?

1. Eric Post author

Hi Chris – The regular DRIVE vinyl does not come packaged with a poster. There is, however, a thin lithograph insert included that features additional artwork. Thanks!

Eric

7. ALBERT V

I HOPE THESE ARE TRUELY ”LOST” SOMEWHERE. I SEE EVERYDAY ON THE NEWS HOW PEOPLE ARE EITHER FOLLOWING FED EX DRIVERS, AND THEN STEALING PACKAGE WITHIN MINUTES OF THEM BEING DROPPED OFF, OR INSIDERS SNATCHING THINGS before DELIVERY.

ME & TWO FRIENDS WERE GONNA BE AT THREE DIFF STORES ON SAT TO TRY TO NAB ONE FOR EACH OTHER. PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED….

8. Matt

I’m sure you guys have gone all around the horn to find these. I have experience in finding lost shipments. Did you get the trailer number for the original shipment? If so, did it appear on the shipping manifest for the receiving hub? Do they have records of any transfers? Is it possibly just sitting on a truck in the lot (had this happen before).

Like I said, I’m sure you guys have done everything in your power. Just wanted to lend a hand with some steps I go through!

Love all of your releases!

9. cdubya

So not only are the Drive and Poltergeist releases “no longer” special, now this? It’s out of your control… nothing you can do really. BUT I wish you treated the release of your vinyl in the same manner as the posters. i feel kinda duped into buying those other records when the Mondo site released them because of Mondo’s biz model of old (posters). It seems that has been rulled null and void now. I could have waited, ended up with a much cooler version of Poltergeist and saved some cash (and stress) in the end.

10. David

Wow. Beautiful packaging. These things look amazing! I was waiting for this release since last year and complely missed the online sale. I was really looking orward to picking this up on Saturday. Hopefully they’ll show up soon.

11. Frank Dahlmeyer

Bought the Poltergeist track today – having trouble with the glow in the dark. Are they all glow in the dark? Is there a better way to charge it? Awesome vinyl otherwise!

12. Joshua Lester

Hey was just wondering what exactly will the Drive Regular Edition be, is it the Mondo edition that came out earlier this year? The one with the cover being the artwork? Just wanted to know before I buy something off Ebay that might be the same thing but way more expensive… Thanks again!

1. Eric Post author

Hi Joshua – Yes, the “regular edition” is the same vinyl that we sold on our website in March. It will be available in record stores on May 28th.

Eric

13. neil haggar

So…. did you get the pic disc into stores for RSD. Someone is selling on Ebay, so i assume you did, but i never got a message through RSS Feed.
    I live in UK, so there was never a chance of me getting one, so is there any chance of me getting one through your site. Pretty please.
    Heres the ebay link… if its real…..

1. Eric Post author

Hi Neil – Yes, the lost pallet of records was found two days before Record Store Day. Our distributor was able to get some out to some record stores in the country in time for RSD on Saturday. It is possible that any stores that did not receive them in time for RSD on Saturday will make them available on shelves tomorrow.

14. Mike

Any idea on the status oft he Drive RSD releases arriving at shops, the place I was at on RSD was expecting it to arrive once it was found but have not received any word of it actually coming in the same a few other bigger shops I spoke too.